A Brilliant New York Experience: Our Gems & Jewels of New York Tour
The theme of gems, jewels and jewelry leads us on a tour of The Metropolitan Museum of Art’s most opulent treasures and a visit to the American Museum of Natural History to explore one of the world’s finest collections of gems. This curated tour created by Joanna MacFarland for Art Smart covers every facet of mankind’s love affair with precious jewels: the myths and legends surrounding gems, the timeless desire for spectacular stones to reflect wealth and status, and the incredible craftsmanship and design of jewelry through the ages. Aspects of history and popular culture are woven throughout.
Your tour will focus on gems prized most. Emeralds, diamonds, pearls and sapphires will feature center stage as we look at some of New York’s most dazzling pieces, including:
- the rare and lavish Crown of the Andes, containing over five pounds of gold
- a stunning emperor’s saber studded with emeralds, diamonds and pearls
- one of the few large gem-quality emeralds that remains uncut
The tour can be infinitely customized: we tailor the content to your specific interests and offer optional, guided experiences to follow our museum excursions.
Follow up the tour with a custom experience
Experiential, guided visits and appointments can follow:
- An appointment with jewelry designers and gem suppliers Zwikker and Zacher in the Diamond District in Midtown
- A behind-the-scenes tour with Fred Leighton Jewelry on Madison Ave
- A visit to Cartier’s newly restored mansion on Fifth Avenue
- Artists’ studio visit at Museum of Arts and Design
- Shopping excursion at Astro Gallery of Gems or the Upper East Side’s Creel & Gow and similar boutiques.
What to Expect:
After your booking, we’ll collaborate to customize your experiential tour. On the day of the tour, we’ll start with The Met’s collection, and then take transportation to the AMNH. We’ll then head to your experiential appointments.