LGBTQ-Focused Tour of The Met in NYC
The language and ideas around non-normative genders and sexualities have changed dramatically throughout history. Today, these topics are finally getting mainstream attention. People around the world are working to redefine our understanding of these complex issues, in order to create a more inclusive society.
On this Met Museum tour your group will explore queer subject matter over five millennia of Western art history, looking at lesbian, gay, bisexual, and gender non-conforming subjects, artists, and concepts. Led by a qualified art historian and gender studies professor, you and yours can enjoy a private tour that is catered specifically to your interests and passions.
What to Expect on Your LGBTQ Tour of The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Upon booking you will receive a confirmation email that will include information about where to meet your guide. During the tour you will experience ART SMART’s signature conversational style, which allows you to learn and explore in a fun yet thought-provoking way.
Questions we may explore include:
- What are the various ways, coded and otherwise, in which artists represented same-sex desire and relationships?
- How did the identity of subjects and sitters come through in their portraits?
- What can the portrayal of queer desire through history teach us about our present moment?
Art works we will see may include:
- Caravaggio, “The Musicians”
- Rosa Bonheur, “The Horse Fair”
- Poussin, “Midas Washing at the Source of the Pactolus”
- Greek and Roman sculptures
- Jasper Johns, “White Flag”